Thursday, August 29, 2013

A Breeder's greatest joy!

I have been breeding my wonderful Hob Nob border collies for about 30 years and during those decades I have had some lows but oh-so-many highs!

One afternoon in late July, this email was sent to my inbox from one of my more recent puppy owners. It brought the BIGGEST smile to my face but an even bigger glow that warmed my heart!


Stacey Jones is the mom to Hob Nob Phantom from my Fuchsia x Lurk litter.  Here is her story....


Been awhile since my last update of Phantom so I thought I'd send you an email of how our 7 month old star is doing :)

This boy is so unbelievably handsome and his personality causes everyone to stop and stare. Wherever we go I constantly get stopped so people can love on him. I sometimes forget he is a dog :). By the way he loves everything and everyone, the way he connects with people on a whole different level, and the joy he brings to the world. You just can't help but fall in love with him! I know I may sound prejudice but I wish I could record everyone's reaction to him. Everyone at the park knows him. Children run up calling his name. "Wheel-y Mike" (he's confined to a chair) asks how HIS day is going every day on our walk sat 3pm. The "Crazy Crew" (teen basketball players at the park) roll the ball to him so he can join the competition. His favorite day of the week is Monday because of "moms in the park". His love for children is ridiculous!! Oh! And I can't forget "Mrs. Loopy" (this slightly crazy? older lady)... She's always talking to herself by the lake until Phantom arrives. Then it's all "cutie this", "handsome that" and "my bestie".  It's really... Surreal. I never would have met these people if it wasn't for him and they aren't friends of mine...They're friends of his. Sounds silly but it's true. He knows them and has a special connection with each one of them.  Almost 90% of the time people inquire on where I got him... Actually they ask "where in the world did you find that boy!". And I never know what to say, I don't know how I got so... Blessed. Anyone can breed dogs. Lots of breeders produce outstanding athletes and beyond beautiful canines. But how did I get a dog with all that but with a special heart? My husband, Chris, put it perfectly "Anyone can follow a recipe. But if you don't add love it's just food". That's how I respond to where this angel came from. A whole lotta love!

But...

There should be a warning label on your website.

"You'll get exactly what you ask for... And then some!"

Haha I don't know how you did it but Phantom has everything I wanted in a dog, to the T! I remember asking for a dog who can think for himself, that's Phantom. But its not that he's headstrong... I don't know how to explain it he just thinks for himself. The way we connect is what you see in movies and read in books, not what "actually" happens. Phantom has added so many great things to our family and without him we just wouldn't be complete. Chris and I say all the time how in the world did we live without him or where has he been all this time? Yes, there are times where he tests the limits and causes deep sighs but we always laugh about it later and love him even more! We love him and couldn't think of starting a family without him in the picture.



Ok... Some funny/cute stories for your day.

Last week I was washing dishes and looked out to see Phantom circling a small area in our yard. I then noticed our cat, Askem, trying to get in the middle of his circle. He wasn't allowing it at all and it got me curious. I walked out and saw something small moving in the grass. When I got to the middle I realized it was a baby mouse! My guess is my cat got it and was planning on dinner. Phantom must have seen it and was protecting it. Haha he would look at me, look at the mouse, then back at me like "mom save it!"... All while keeping my cat away. It was hilarious!! I saved the mouse and let it go in the woods and Phantom didn't leave the area for at least 30 minutes!

My son Christopher was playing video games in our living room. All of a sudden I heard him yell "Phantom it's FINE!!! It's just a GAME!!!" I then noticed a worried whine coming from Phantom. I walked in and couldn't help but start laughing!! Anytime a zombie started coming towards the tv at Christopher, Phantom would get in-between the tv and chair he was sitting in. It was a tangled mess... Christopher barely holding onto the controller and Phantom wrapped in the cord bouncing up and down. Haha it was priceless!!

I was putting laundry in the washer when Chris started laughing in the next room. I walked in to find Phantom wrapped in my bra, holding Christopher's sock in his mouth, and dragging an empty laundry basket behind him... How he managed this I have no idea...

I was taking a bath last month with the door closed. All of a sudden I hear, "Stacey!!! Your dog!!!". I jumped out, grabbed my towel, opened the door to find Phantom sitting there with one of my shoes, our "beach" bag, his favorite "beach" toy, and his leash. What?! I yelled at my husband thinking he set this up and while I was mid-sentence about trying to relax blah blah blah I heard this splash behind me. Yes, Phantom jumped in the tub with his toy looking at me with his "lets play" face. I don't know how... Or what... I'm still baffled! And no, Chris didn't touch anything or move anything... I don't even know...

Hope everything at Hob Nob Farm is going well! Jan, those blue Merle puppies had me thinking about adding another one into our family... Phantom would love a friend, right? Haha maybe sometime down the road :) but in all honesty your puppies are SO beautiful!!!!


Much love and gratitude from the Jones family!!!


reprinted with permission from Stacey Jones