Friday, February 1, 2013

Journey to the Rainbow Bridge...


On the morning of September 19, 2000 I was born via C-section with my handsome brothers Rhett, Roady & Stoner along with my 2 lovely sisters Spree and Luna.  My human mom Jan dubbed me "her perfect red border collie" that she long waited for!  I must say that I did grow up to be quite a dapper and handsome fellow! 


My adventures were many as Jan taught me to love running agility even though I had fears of that moving teeter board when I was just a wee pup.  Sister Spree and I learned together and she was so much braver than I.  Seeing as we were sibling rivals, I just couldn't let her see her big brother as anything but brave so I quickly pulled up my big boy pants and became one fierce teeter slider!  Look, my mom Jan even has the proof on video!


Along with having fun in agility, what I loved to do most was work the sheep!  After all, this is what I was bred to do!  While I did train in large open fields, my intensity was fierce and often my mom had to hold the reins in on me when competing at arena trials.  I had those woolies running scared just by my presence...what power I felt!


As Jan retired from competing so did I but my days were spent happily running the fields for many years with my beautiful red haired wife Kindle along with my spunky wife Posh and our lovely girls Prism and Prima along with my talented daughter Cachet.  My handsome son Prada was not allowed to run with my pack...he had his own:>)


Although we didn't get it often, I loved snow days at Hob Nob Farm!




I well remember the day my youngest daughter Prima surprised me with a glorious adventure for my 11th birthday and as usual, mom Jan captured it all on video!  


photo digitally painted by http://www.flyingfurpetportraits.com/

But as all good things must come to an end, that fateful day was today.  Yesterday, Jan noticed that something just wasn't right with me although I did my best to hide it.  Sure, I was eating, drinking and doing all the normal things that healthy and younger dogs do but if anyone knows my mom Jan like I do, she seems to have a six sense about her when it comes to those of us she cherishes.  

She took me to her wonderful vet Dr. Michelle Shoemaker at the South Bay Veterinary Hospital and there I spent the night.  I did hear Jan telling them that she suspected I had a tumor in my nasal cavity because of the sounds I sometimes made in the last few days.

This morning, Jan came and they took me in a room to see her.  I had this tube in my front leg which also had a contraption on wheels that followed me with a bag of fluids hanging from it.  Jan reached over to me and whispered in my ear that she loved me and things would be alright.  She even hinted that  there was a chance I might even see my birth mom Chisel although at that time I wasn't sure what she meant.

Chisel and baby Bezel

Awhile later, I seemed to drift off to sleep and found myself dreaming.  I vaguely remember hearing Jan and Dr. Shoemaker talking about a tumor in my nasal cavity.  I could hear soft voices and sensed they were somehow able to see this tumor.   I didn't feel anything except a light kiss to my cheek telling me that I would soon be running with Chisel...





That'll do Bezel...that'll do         September 19, 2000 - February 1, 2013