Saturday, December 17, 2011

Accentuate the Positive phase 2


While I always appreciate getting e-mails from people, especially Hob Nob owners, I am trying to make some positive changes in my life and am now realizing some things I need to modify to continue to make my life better. 

Recently, I received a few emails that inspired me to write this blog.
 
While I love hearing all the wonderful things that people are doing with their HN border collies,  I know that as a breeder, I will also need to deal with other things related to my choices in breeding or placing dogs. 

As with everything, sometimes something negative has to happen to help make better decisions on my part. (I am no different than anyone else in this respect). There are going to be decisions that I make that will not sit well with some people and I can’t possibly change anyone else’s way of thinking. The only possible person I can change is myself. As long as I feel good about what I am doing and know that I am doing what I feel is best, I have to let others make their own choices and decisions based on their own life journey. 

It’s impossible to make everyone happy – and if I make changes simply to please others, then I would be unhappy. 

As a very conscientious breeder, I am open to hearing about health related studies and making any necessary changes based on scientific research and validated conclusions by experts in their field in a particular study.  I also do not want to put myself in a position to defend anything I am doing should I agree, or not agree, with certain agendas that are currently in the forefront such as early onset deafness, IHC, epilepsy, ETS, etc.   

I live for the day that we have conclusive studies and tests for all the above mentioned! 

Several health related studies have recently become hot topics of which I do not want to participate in.  I certainly am not saying that anyone is right or wrong.  Everyone is doing what they feel is the right thing.  I respect that, but I am not going to point fingers and fall into a fight anymore.  I am striving to become a more optimistic and positive person and in order to do that, I need to learn how to allow others to have different opinions. Things always work out as they are meant to as I believe in the Laws of Attraction.
 
So, what I want to ask everyone is this.... If you are thinking of contacting me about something negative that is being said about me, my dogs, or my breeding program, I would respectfully request that you do not contact me.   I honestly no longer want to hear what “he or she said” where someone took pot shots against me or my breeding program.  

The same holds true for individuals who find it necessary to email me about their gripes they have towards other breeder/breedings that have nothing to do with me.

Quite obviously if there is an issue or health concern to any of my HN dogs, I want (and need) to know so I can help, support or decide if any changes need to be made in my breeding program. 

I know I’m not perfect and I will make mistakes.  No one is perfect.  But the way for me to improve and feel more positive in life is to recognize things that I can change. 

Nothing good ever comes from pushing against someone who has a different opinion or belief than I do.  Instead, I want to push forward and reflect on things in a more positive light. 

Jan DeMello proud breeder of Hob Nob border collies